by Segun Odeleye
Security operatives recorded a breakthrough on Wednesday when a Boko Haram hideout which served as a bomb factory in Gubduwawa village in Gezawa local government area of Kano was located and the two houses involved demolished. The security operatives reportedly discovered several arms and explosives in the building.
The operation, according to a statement, was carried out by soldiers and State Security Service (SSS) operatives, in order to prevent a Sallah Day bloodbath planned by the suspected insurgents and the breakthrough was recorded thanks to a tip-off.
One person, believed to be the son of the landlord, who rented the house to the suspected terrorists, was killed by the security agents.
For about eight hours, guns boomed in the area as the suspected terrorists and the operatives fought for supremacy.
The Joint Task Brigade Commander of the Army 3rd Brigade Command Headquarters, Brig.-Gen. Illyasu Isah Abba, along with the Director of DSS in Kano, Mr. Bassey Eteng, said: “At about 2:00 a.m. on 8 October 2013, a combined team of the JTF troops and Department of State Security Services (DSS) personnel attacked Boko Haram terrorists’ hideouts at Gunduwawa village in Gezawa council of Kano State.
“The raid, was conducted following a lead on intelligence reports; we made no arrests as the terrorists fled the village as the JTF troops and DSS personnel arrived.
“The combined team was also able to recover weapons, working tools and materials used for making Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs). The weapons include assault rifle, two AK 58 rifle magazines with 193 rounds of 5.5mm ammunition, one AK 47 rifle magazine with 107 rounds of 7.62mm (Special) ammunition, bows, and arrows.
“The materials used for making IEDs found in the buildings raided include 3 primed cylinders of IEDs, one primed explosive suicide back pack, 18 empty IED cylinders, 24 detonators, small bags of fertiliser, IED timers, cortex wires and three remote control devices.
“Other items recovered include work tools, five Motorola hand-held radios, four communicators, six alarm clocks, two cartons of 9-volt batteries, a scale, one external hard-drive and one heavy duty charger/battery.
“These weapons, ammunition and other heavy dangerous materials were meant to wreak havoc on Kano during the Eid-El-Kabir festivities and other festivities before the end of the year.
“The JTF is aware that the terrorists are trying to establish some safe havens on the outskirts of Kano metropolis in order to resume their nefarious activities which had been curbed within the city.
“In order to ensure Kano remains a safe place for all, we are keeping a watchful eye on the surrounding towns and settlements through which the terrorists may use as access into the metropolitan.
“The JTF appreciates the cooperation of the public in the fight against terrorism and enjoins all well-meaning citizens to come forward with relevant information towards dealing decisively with the terrorist group. We shall continue to uphold the confidentiality of our sources and follow up every information to a conclusive end,” the Army boss stated.
The Kano DSS Director said the terrorist group had devised a new trick similar to that used in the Boston, United States, suicide-bombing, by carrying explosives on back-pack bags. He urged the public to be wary of such tricks.