Connect with us

Aero Contractors transforms into Nigerian Eagle… our new national carrier

Today's Scoops

Aero Contractors transforms into Nigerian Eagle… our new national carrier

by Dare Lawal

Aero Contractors is now Nigeria’s new national carrier. The development which was supposed to be confirmed earlier this week but has now been pushed to Sunday will see the airline change its name to Nigerian Eagle.

Nigeria’s president Goodluck Jonathan is expected to unveil it upon his return from London, United Kingdom.

Already there are reports that one of its aircraft, a Boeing 737-500 classic, has been painted with new livery and the new name. It landed in Lagos at about 8:45 pm on Tuesday night and was secretly parked in a private fixed based operation (FBO) facility at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos.

Thisday which first reported the story, quoted a source who said that, “There will not be Aero Contractors anymore. It is now Nigerian Eagle and it will be launched on Sunday by Mr. President. You will not see Aero anymore after the launch of this airline.”

The federal government through AMCON, owns 60 per cent stake in Aero, while the Ibru family owns the remaining 40 per cent.

As a national carrier, the Nigerian Eagle is expected to enjoy preferential rights or privileges accorded by the federal government for international operations.

Click to comment
To Top