By Paul Osas
Amnesty International has called for an international investigation into the alleged killing of 1,500 in the north-east as a result of the Boko haram sect’s insurgency and the Nigeria Military reprisal attacks.
Amnesty International accused both sides of war crimes and crimes against humanity. It called on the United Nations United to help investigate “given Nigeria’s apparent unwillingness and inability to investigate and prosecute perpetrators of these crimes.”
“The international community cannot continue to look the other way in the face of extra judicial executions, attacks on civilians and other crimes under International law being committed on a mass scale,” said Netsanet Belay, the group’s advocacy director for Africa.
The report noted that the toll of more than 1,500 deaths indicated “an alarming deterioration” in the fight against insurgency in Nigeria. It said these killings would equal the total number of people killed since the uprising began in 2010 through June 2013.
AI said more than half of those killed this year have been civilians slaughtered by extremists. They include scores of students who were gunned down in schools, had their throats slit or were burned alive in locked dormitories while they slept. It stressed that nearly all the other deaths involved soldiers gunning down unarmed detainees freed in a March 14 attack on Giwa military barracks in Maiduguri.
An Associated Press investigation of hospital mortuary records found more than 3,300 detainees died there between January and August last year in extra judicial killings, from untreated
wounds, from beatings and from starvation and suffocation in overcrowded cells.