by Dare Lawal
The Presidential candidate of All Progressives Congress, APC, General Muhammadu Buhari (ret), has threatened to sue the Nigerian Television Authority, NTA, and the African Independent Television, AIT, for airing hate broadcasts against him.
This was communicated to the stations in a protest letter signed by the Legal Director of APC Presidential Campaign Council, Mr. Chukwuma-Machukwu Ume, SAN. In the letter, the APC presidential candidate demanded that the AIT and NTA retract the “hate documentaries” which they are airing against him, and also issue a public apology to him.
He said he would not hesitate to seek legal remedy should the television houses refuse to comply with the conditions.
Besides, the APC candidate said he had already petitioned the Nigerian Broadcasting Commission, NBC, and the National Human Rights Commission, NHRC, asking them to investigate both NTA and AIT over the hate broadcasts and take necessary punitive actions.
“The hate broadcast has been on from Saturday, January 24, 2015 to Sunday, January 25, 2015, at 11p.m. in AIT,” Buhari noted.