The Akwa Ibom governor Udom Emmanuel swore his oath of office on Friday and enunciated his 12 point agenda.
The governor’s 12 point development agenda include:
1. to fight corruption;
2. to continue the infrastructural development of the state;
3. involvement of the private sector to build the state’s economy using the PPP model;
4. to uphold the tenets of democratic governance;
5. respect Party structures and ensure the security of lives and property of all residents in the state.
6. to ensure justice and fair play;
7. be firm but fair to all;
8. to ensure accountability in government;
9. promote trade and commerce;
10. to develop good working relationship with other arms of government;
11. work to industrialise the state;
12. provide employment for the jobless.
In the midst of the beautiful ceremony, the governor however took a decision which – from the reaction of the crowd – was not received well by Akwa Ibomites.
Emmanuel announced that he has given his approval to the resolution by the Akwa Ibom state assembly to rename the new multi billion naira International Stadium, ‘The Nest of Champions’ to ‘Godswill Obot Akpabio International Stadium’.
The announcement was not well received. He announced it thrice but the response was the same – a stunned silence by the guests.
Some worried that it might be the beginning of a rubber stamp executive governor who will answer to the whims of his ‘godfather’.
Apart from that issue, it was a lovely inauguration event.