Connect with us

Sorry to burst your bubble, Saraki: Senate Unity Forum says it has not withdrawn its forgery suit

Today's Scoops

Sorry to burst your bubble, Saraki: Senate Unity Forum says it has not withdrawn its forgery suit

Despite suggestions in the media, the Senate Unity Forum (SUF) has said it will still pursue its forgery suit against Senate President, Dr. Bukola Saraki and his deputy, Ike Ekweremadu. Other defendants are the Clerk of the National Assembly, the Clerk of the Senate, the Senate, and the National Assembly.

Following reports that Senators Suleiman Hunkuyi, Kabir Garba Marafa, Abu Ibrahim, Robert Ajayi Boroffice and Gbenga Ashafa who filed the suit at the Federal High Court in Abuja had withdrawn it, the senate spokesman, Dino Melaye, released a statement. “On behalf of the Senate, we want to commend the maturity of the Unity Group and Like Minds Group. We appreciate that by withdrawing the suit, national interest has overcome individual and group interest. I salute the sagacity of the Unity Forum for withdrawing the matter from the court. This is as a result of a series of underground reconciliatory moves. I salute the sense of purpose of both groups. By this very positive development, the divisive elements who wanted to bring the 8th Senate to ridicule have been completely shamed,” he said.

It now appears that he spoke too soon as the aggrieved Senate Unity Forum members insisted on Wednesday that they are not going back on the suit alleging forgery of the Senate Standing Orders.

In a statement released by their counsel Mamman Mike Osuman (SAN), the SUF debunked reports that it had withdrawn its suit (FHC/ABJ/CS/651/2015) or that Justice Ademola Adeniyi of the Federal High Court struck out the suit. Osuman said it was “erroneous and mischievous” to claim that the suit had been withdrawn.

He disclosed that it was the first suit (FHC/ABJ/CS/647/2015) filed by Senator Anthony Adeniyi, who served in the 7th Senate that was withdrawn to avoid abuse of court process.

He said: “Despite the legal possibility that the suit discontinued by Sen. Anthony Adeniyi could be re-filed, the media should have been more specific about the case withdrawn. Contrary to the misinformation put out there, we hereby confirm the originating summons in suit no: FHC/ABJ/CS/651/2015 filed at the instance of the above-named Senators against Saraki, Ekweremadu and the National Assembly.

“The above particularized suit differs in contents from that of Sen. Adeniyi as can be distilled from their respective grounds, reliefs sought, affidavit evidence, parties and declarations sought.”

iWrite, iReview and iReport, what more can iSay?

Click to comment

Latest Posts

Advertisement

Trending

To Top