After months of controversy, the federal government has relocated the over 47 suspected members of the Boko Haram sect who were detained at the medium security prison at Ekwulobia, Aguata Local Government Area of Anambra State. It is unclear where they were moved to.
The suspects were brought to the prison in June 2015.
The suspects were moved in 10 trucks amidst tight security, and since then the heavy security presence at the prison have been relaxed, as the snipers that usually sat atop a structure at the prison were absent from their duty post.
According to Thisday:
The prison gate was also open, unlike what it used to be in the last three months. There were about 134 inmates at the Ekwulobia prison before the 47 Boko Haram suspects were brought in the midnight of Sunday, June 28, 2015, with heavy security.
A source at the prison said on Wednesday that the Boko Haram suspects had been relocated but couldn’t say where they were taken to.
The indigenes of Ekwulobia were happy about the development.
An indigene, Okeke Ezeugo, said now that the Boko Haram suspects had been relocated, the people of the area can heave a sigh of relief and sleep with their two eyes closed.
When the suspects were brought to the prison in June, traders in the state and residents of Ekwulobia and indeed traders in markets in the South-east zone protested for more than a week accusing the President Muhammadu Buhari administration of bringing them to destabilise the economy of the zone and allegation that was denied by the presidency.