Nigerians expected a lot more from Pres. Muhammadu Buhari’s first anniversary speech. A lot more.
But even though they knew for instance that he could not announce more achievements than he had achieved, they believed at least that he would keep to his promise and release the names of those who had allegedly looted the treasury and how much had been recovered. But he didn’t.
Apparently, when Buhari made the promise to Nigerians he had spoken without consulting his legal team and was forced to backtrack following advise he later received. Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, went on Channels TV on Sunday evening to explain.
“Yes he initially said so (naming looters), but he was advised against doing so for legal reasons. Of course, he has a right to reverse himself on that,” Mohammed told Kadaria Ahmed, who interviewed him in the special Democracy Day programme tagged ‘Assessing the Government.’
He however said that the details on the amounts recovered from the alleged treasury looters would be made public before the end of the week without mentioning names for legal reasons.