The Lagos State Police Commissioner, Fatai Owoseni, on Wednesday said that the planned protest against the Federal Government slated for February 6 won’t hold in the state.
The protest which is being spearheaded by award winning musician, Tuface Idibia, alongside Enough is Enough Nigeria (EiE) has gained a lot of traction amongst Nigerians dissatisfied about the direction of the economy.
At a time when Buhari is facing a lot of ill will and plunging popularity, any violent action against the protesters by the police is likely going to hugely dent the administration’s reputation.
The planned march is slated to begin at the National Stadium, and terminate at the National Theater, Iganmu.
Owoseni said the protest won’t go on because the police has intelligence reports indicating that hoodlums plan to hijack it and cause carnage in the state.
“We know that Tuface do not have the capacity to contain such a crowd and we will not fold our hands and watch while things go out of hand,” Owoseni said.
Earlier in the week, Owoseni was quoted to have said: “The Civil Society had said that they do not need police permission to carry out any peaceful protest, but they should also be aware that there might be those who share an opposing view. This set of persons may want to disrupt the peaceful demonstration and would want to attack demonstrators.”
“This is why we advise individuals or group of persons who may wish to embark on civil demonstration to inform the police so that adequate security arrangement would be provided.”