Former governor of Ogun State, Otunba Gbenga Daniel, has petitioned the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, alleging that there was an attempted assassination attempt on his life.
According to Daniel, the main suspect for the murder plot is a sitting senator, Buruji Kashamu.
Details of Daniel’s petition:
- The incident occurred at his Maitama, Abuja residence on Thursday 24th August, 2017, at about 9.13pm.
- “5 hefty men, 2 of them in Military fatigue, 3 others in Black clothes” gained entrance into his house, inquired about his whereabouts and assaulted some of his staff and a policeman. The policeman was locked in a bathroom, but he “luckily” had a gun in the bathroom. He escaped through the ceiling and fired into the air, scaring the assailants who had guns of their own.
- Daniel was not at home at the time of the incident as he had left Abuja to Ibadan that afternoon. Nothing was removed from his house by the attackers.
- Any evidence?: Daniel provided no evidence to back up his claims against Kashamu. He believes Kashamu wants to kill him because, “there is no love lost” between them. “In the last 8 years that we disagreed politically he has not stopped maligning my character in every way possible. On one occasion, he confessed publicly and wrote in National newspapers saying that he spent over three billion naira (N3b) to destabilize and destroy my administration, using his own words,” Daniel said. “On another occasion he gathered some fake documents and sought for people who can lie on oath that I killed students and sucked their blood; with all manner of fictions on sundry issues and got these published in various online news medium that I stole campaign funds!!!” Daniel also claimed that Kashamu has boasted several times in the company of his friends that “he will not rest until he sees my end.”
- So if they had been quarreling for eight years, why is Kashamu suddenly desperate to kill him? According to Daniel, it is because of the PDP’s recent internal politics. The Supreme Court recently ruled in favour of the Ahmed Makarfi faction of the PDP against the Ali Modu Sheriff faction. Daniel belonged to the Makarfi camp while Kashamu belonged to Sheriff’s. Daniel claimed in his petition that the ruling ended Kashamu’s reign of control over the State Executive committee of the Peoples Democratic Party in Ogun state. “It is Kashamu’s belief that I was the brain behind his loss of power and relevance in Ogun State PDP (the main source of milking innocent political aspirants), and he felt I must be brought down by all means,” he said.
- What does Daniel want the police to do? (a) additional security protection; (b) that Kashamu should be put under security watch list and strict surveillance; (c) to alert everyone that in case anything untowards happen to me, the prime suspect is Buruji Kashamu.