President Muhammadu Buhari continues to commend his administration’s effort in the fight against corruption – but Governor Ayodele Fayose of Ekiti state believes the president is just being plain hypocritical.
Buhari had on Thursday stated that he would not hesitate to prosecute and jail any public officer found guilty of corruption. But Fayose wants the President to begin by jailing members of his cabinet who have corruption allegations hanging over them.
In a statement on Friday through his Special Assistant on Public Communications and New Media, Lere Olayinka, Fayose said “How many of those indicted of corruption in President Buhari’s government has he jailed? Isn’t it the height of hypocrisy for a President that is using APC broom to sweep corruption involving his men under the carpet to be talking about jailing anyone caught stealing public fund?”
The presidential hopeful accused Buhari of using the perceived war on corruption as a cloak to shield his allies while assaulting perceived political enemies.
“We have a President who is the Life Patron of Corruption in Nigeria. His government is not only corrupt, the government itself is corruption! Sadly, our President is still carrying on with the mindset that Nigerians are still listening to his lyrics of ‘we are fighting corruption.”
The Ekiti governor raised the following posers:
- Today, it is seventeen days since President Buhari sacked the suspended Secretary to the Government of the Federation SGF, Babachir Lawal, and the Director General, National Intelligence Agency (NIA), Ayodele Oke, has any of them been arrested by the EFCC?
- Apart from sacking Oke, has President Buhari told Nigerians any other thing about the $43 million discovered in the Osbourne Towers, Ikoyi, Lagos apartment?
- Who owns the apartment?
- What has happened to those involved in the fraudulent reinstatement of the former Chairman of the Presidential Task Force on Pension Reforms, Mr Abdullahi Maina, who was declared wanted for corrupt practices by the International Police Organisation, (INTERPOL) after he was dismissed from office by the Civil Service Commission in 2013 for allegedly committing N2.1 Billion pension fraud while in office?
- Why hasn’t Maina been arrested by the EFCC up till now?
- When the Minister of State for Petroleum Resources Ibe Kachikwu’s alleged that the Group Managing Director (GMD) of the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC); Dr. Maikanti Baru awarded $25 billion contracts without following due process, weren’t Buhari’s men the ones defending Baru?
- Isn’t the same Abba Kyari, who was accused of collecting N500 million bribe from MTN still Buhari’s Chief of Staff?
- Has anything been heard about the $5 billion fine imposed on MTN by the federal government after Abba Kyari allegedly received the N500 million bribe?
“Methinks President Buhari should face the reality that there are people in his government that should be in jail by now for corruption. Not until he jails those corrupt elements that are wining and dining with him, Nigerians will continue to liken his threat to jail anyone who steals pubic fund with a cow thief threatening to jail a fowl thief,” Fayose said.