Falae speaking to the media after this latest tragedy expressed disappointment in the lack of initiative from President Muhammadu Buhari. “If I were the President,” he said, “I would have taken the initiative because this is not a problem that cannot be solved.”
On FG’s Cattle Colony Proposal
Falae is worried that the colony term is more political than economic. He said that “a colony is a political entity” and territorial in nature, likening it to the British invasion of Nigeria. This according to him is a ground for provocation and an “obnoxious policy” that he said the Yorubas were firmly opposed to.
- “The proposal that colony should be established and rangers will accompany cattle, moving from one colony to another is a very provocative and repugnant proposal The word colony is a repugnant political word because it means one group people dominating another.
- “The idea that we will train rangers to accompany cows moving from one colony to another is a huge continuing unnecessary financial burden on the federal government because there is no need for cattle to march from colony to colony.
- “If we train rangers it should be to maintain peace generally not listed to cows that are now being given special statuses like our governors or head of state. It makes no sense, it’s absolute nonsense. They have insulted the intelligence of Nigerians, it is nonsense”
Falae wants the FG to assist states and not dictate policy to them. According to him governments are not to be directly responsible for creating ranches which are private businesses but can offer incentives to make them profitable and sustainable. Falae said:
- “Let them carve out areas for cattle farmers in those states that are home to cattle and assist them to set up ranches. Ranches are private things and not government responsibility but the government can help them to prepare water and make the ranch self-sufficient.”
- “Government can even give them subsidised loans to establish and become viable and profitable ranches, that is the solution and not this nonsense of cattle roaming from one colony to another colony.”
- “Ranching is cattle farming and a legitimate and very profitable business run by private businessmen but they are trying to make my crops to feed their cattle to subsidise their own business because they are forcing me by invading my farm in the night to supply free food to their cattle and when they sell the cattle they don’t give me part of the money. This is a system that cannot survive and I expected the government to have stopped it.”