President Muhammadu Buhari announced the composition of a National Food Security Council that he would chair by himself.
A statement by Garba Shehu, the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, disclosed that the new council will be inaugurated on Monday.
Here are the broad objectives of the Council, according to the statement:
1. Developing sustainable solutions to the farmers–herdsmen clashes;
2. Climate Change and Desertification and their impact on farmland, grazing areas and lakes, rivers and other water bodies;
3. Oil spillage and its impact on Niger Delta Fishing Communities;
4. Piracy and banditry;
5. Agricultural research institutions and extension services and the problem of smuggling;
6. Regional and global policies and trends that bear implications for food security in Nigeria.
Asides the president, here are the other members of the National Food Security Council:
- Kebbi Governor;
- Taraba Governor;
- Plateau Governor;
- Lagos Governor;
- Ebonyi Governor;
- Delta Governor;
- Secretary to the Government of the Federation;
- Chief of Staff to the President;
- National Security Adviser;
- Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development;
- Minister of Finance;
- Minister of Interior;
- Minister of Industry, Trade and Investment;
- Minister of Water Resources;
- Minister of Environment;
- Minister of Budget and National Planning;
- Chief of Defence Staff;
- Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria;
- Director-General of the Department of State Services;
- Director-General of the National Intelligence Agency; and
- Comptroller-General of the Nigeria Immigration Service.