Last Friday’s invasion of Rukuba, a part of Jos, the Plateau state capital which resulted in the deaths of about 25 people is grabbing the attention of presidential aspirants on the platform of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP). The incident has however received no interest so far from the Presidency.
What happened: Unknown gunmen invaded the region and killed several people. Lives were also lost as a result of the ensuing protests. The government announced a dusk to dawn curfew which was relaxed after 24 hours.
What the opposition aspirants have been saying:
Ahmed Makarfi: The former Governor of Kaduna stated in his condolence message that it was impossible to make progress in a society without regard for human lives.
“As a people, we cannot grow or progress if we continue to waste human lives. The lives of every single Nigerian is valuable and one loss, affects us all. We must strive for peace and unity in order to reach our true potential as a nation,” he said.
Bukola Saraki: The Senate President in his own remarks called for an investigation into the issue. “We must send a message out to all those that wish to disturb the peace across our nation that Nigeria and Nigerians will not stand for it. We must respond with the full weight and force of the laws and the institutions of the Federal Republic of Nigeria,” Saraki said.
Aminu Tambuwal: The Sokoto Governor said that human capital was being lost to the killings and called for peace. “No nation and no people can make meaningful progress by wasting scarce human capital. That is why we must all work together for peace, in order to restore our collective sense of community and our respect for human life,” he said.