The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Hon. Yakubu Dogara, has accused the Buhari led administration of failing Nigerians in the last three years. Speaking in Katungo, Gombe state at an empowerment programme organized by Hon Binta Bello, he cited the insecurity situation and state of the economy as proof that things have gotten worse under President Muhammadu Buhari.
Dogara’s issues: Dogara, a member of the People’s Democratic Party (PDP), cited his main issues with the Buhari government.
- Security: “2019 elections is about insecurity, whether we can be secured… if this is the kind of insecurity you want us to perpetrate for Nigeria.” He also cited the case of the killing of more than a hundred soldiers in a day by Boko Haram insurgents. According to the speaker, if the APC administration is allowed to continue in power with the way it is handling security, it would only be a matter of time before more insurgents rise up to unleash terror on innocent Nigerians.
- Economy: “Look at your own lives, even if nobody loves or likes you, advise yourself, hold a consultation with yourself, sit down and argue with yourself, ask yourself what progress you’ve made in the last three and a half years? Compare yourself the way you look now and the way you looked some three years ago and then you’ll know, and then decide for yourself whether you want to continue looking like this, that is if it doesn’t get worse in the next four more years.”
- Education: “Today in Nigeria 13 million of our children are out of school. 1.3 million of those children are from my home state of Bauchi. If we continue like this, the numbers are bound to increase, and the crisis we will face in the future will be more than this Boko Haram crisis that we are witnessing. This is because by refusing to give free and compulsory education to our children, we are raising an army for insurgency that will come and consume us as a people.”
Curious data: While Dogara is free to campaign as he sees fit, he dished out some figures without evidence.
- “Do you know that today, you cannot travel between Kaduna and Abuja? It is very difficult… If you travel by road, there is a 70% chance that you’ll be kidnapped. In those days however kidnapping was very strange in the Northern part of this country.”
- “Two-thirds of Nigerians can no longer afford three-square meals a day…”
Bottom Line: Speaker Yakubu Dogara is all out for battle. In the past month, he has been issuing damning statements against the Buhari government. Important to note that until his defection from the APC just three months ago, the speaker did not seem to notice all these issues.