The presidential candidate of the National Interest Party (NIP), Ms. Eunice Atuejide, on Wednesday, stepped down from the 2019 presidential race and then proceeded to declare her support for the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Atiku Abubakar.
Backstory: In a statement in Abuja, the former presidential hopeful gave five reasons why she was stepping down and supporting Atiku.
- “A Nigeria led by Atiku Abubakar will drastically reduce the suffering we have all endured under President Buhari-led maladministration.”
- “I believe we will come out of the bottom pile of all human development indices, particularly the crown of being the poverty capital of the world.”
- “There will be respect for human life, less nepotism, tribalism, religious fanaticism, insensitivity and outright disregard for the wishes of the Nigerian people.”
- “I strongly believe more competent Nigerians will be brought together from different places of origin, religions, creed, gender, age, background etc., to form the Atiku Abubakar-led government. I believe he would select that government to include the best Nigerians from every corner of the country.”
- “An Atiku-led government will be a government of national unity.”
PDP was bad in the past but APC is worse: “I make bold to state unequivocally that I stand with Atiku under the PDP this time. I cannot defend PDP for giving us bad leadership from 1999 to 2015, yet I cannot help but blame the APC for doing a much worse job from 2015 to 2019,” Atuejide said.
She asked all Nigerians of voting age with Permanent Voters Cards to vote for Atiku.
Bottom Line: Atuejide’s endorsement does not matter. Her candidacy never quite took off, and the times she was talked about with any measure of seriousness, it concerned the ethics of the huge bank loans she took to run the affairs of her party. Also, Atuejide has consistently publicly expressed her preference for Atiku such that the only surprise is why she took so long to step down.