The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has demanded that the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) stops the on-going collation of results until data from the smart card reader accreditation at the polling units are made available to all the parties in the election.
The party said in a statement on Tuesday that its demand is based on “evidence” that data from the card readers are being reconfigured to suit the “manipulations, rigging and over-voting” already carried out during the election in some states by the All Progressives Congress (APC). The PDP also asked INEC to cancel the results in Yobe, Zamfara, Nasarawa and Borno states, in order for fresh elections to be held in those places.
“We have evidence from the smart card reader accreditation data that what is being announced by INEC has been seriously tampered with and manipulated,” said the party in a statement signed by Tanimu Turaki, a deputy director-general in the campaign.
Reasons, according to the PDP:
- In Yobe, the total number of votes submitted as cast was more than the number of accredited voters. Whereas the number of accredited voters was 601, 056, the total votes cast was 775,449. This is a clear case of over-voting which, by the provisions of the Electoral Act, renders the election null and void. In such instance, the law provides for another election on a day to be fixed by INEC.
- In Zamfara state, no actual voting took place and there was no single result sheet in any polling unit in the entire state. There was an arrest in Shinkafi Local Government, where an APC member was caught thump-printing ballot papers inside his house. Results from the presiding officer from Zamfara were concocted and allocated according to the wishes of the leadership of the APC and INEC.
- In Borno state, there was no election but a figure writing exercise and allocation of results according to the whims and caprices of the APC leaders.
- In Nasarawa, the PDP demands the immediate restoration of our over 157, 000 lawful and valid votes which were unlawfully and arbitrarily cancelled by INEC and the announcement of the actual results from the field.
- Similarly, the PDP demands an immediate restoration of our over 79, 000 valid votes which were unlawfully cancelled by INEC in Kogi state and the announcement of the authentic results inclusive of the restored 79,000 votes.
- In the FCT, the PDP demands the restoration of 27,000 valid votes unlawfully and arbitrarily cancelled by INEC and a declaration of the authentic result, inclusive of our restored 27,000 votes.
- In Plateau, the PDP demands the immediate restoration of our over 30,000 lawful and valid votes, which were unlawfully cancelled particularly in Jos North and the declaration of the genuine results as delivered at the polling units inclusive of our 30,000 restored votes.
“The PDP maintains that from the actual votes delivered at the polling units, which we all have, Nigerians clearly and unequivocally gave their mandate to Atiku Abubakar,” the statement said.