The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has refused to sign the result sheet of the presidential election which was announced Wednesday morning by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) in Abuja.
Backstory: The PDP Agent, Osita Chidoka, left the hall at the National Collation Centre when the INEC Chairman, Mahmood Yakubu, started calling on party agents to come forward to sign the result sheet.
Chidoka, a former Minister of Aviation, said during an interview with journalists on his way out said that the party does not accept the election result as representing the valid votes of Nigerians, due to the issues it had earlier raised.
According to Chidoka:
- The party expected INEC to project data provided by Smart Card Readers used for accreditation of voters having spent so much on the technology for that purpose.
- The issue of registered voters versus collated voters show that up to 1.6 million people are missing in the voter register, a number substantial enough to require a resolution.
- The difference between the accredited voters and the total votes cast which came to about 750,000 votes needs to be looked at.
- INEC needs to look at the cancellations that took place in the election impacting 2.7 million.
- INEC needs to look at the issue of the card readers. “The absence of card reader is a major violation in the election, it renders that election null and void, and that is what the chairman promised us,” he said.
“So, in our view, this election needs to be looked at again and possibly we would have had a re-run, more importantly. For us in the PDP, we believe that this is a new low in Nigeria’s electoral history,” he said.