Following Friday’s tribunal victory of the PDP candidate for Osun governor, Ademola Adeleke, the party’s presidential candidate in the 2019 general elections, Atiku Abubakar, has expressed satisfaction with the verdict.
Atiku expressed the usual sentiments after such a victory
- He applauded the judiciary as “truly, the defender of Nigeria’s democracy.”
- He said Adeleke’s victory shows that “indeed the judiciary is the last refuge of the common man and that in truth, those who were aggrieved and resolved to maintain the peace, have been vindicated.”
- He congratulated Adeleke, the PDP and “men and women of goodwill in Osun State, who did not waver in their commitment to retrieve the stolen mandate.”
- “Weeping may endure for a night, but joy has come for the people of Osun,” he said.
- He alleged that there were strenuous efforts by the APC-led government to undermine and intimidate the judiciary, but commended the judiciary for its courage and resilience.
Impact of the ruling: Atiku said the verdict is “phenomenal” especially because several elections in the current election cycle were declared inconclusive. But it is too early to tell if today’s ruling will have any impact on other elections because it first has to be upheld by higher courts. At the tribunal today, one of the judges dissented with the majority ruling. This means the verdict is by no means unanimous. Also, the particular case in Osun may be different from other states where INEC had declared elections inconclusive.