Of all the governors-elect in the country, the Sokoto State Governor, Aminu Tambuwal, was the one who won his election in March with the slimmest margin.
- Just 341 votes was all that separated Tambuwal of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) from Ahmed Aliyu, the candidate of the All Progressives Congress (APC).
- As expected Aliyu is contesting the result at the tribunal.
Now Tambuwal is alleging that there is a plot to stop his inauguration for a second term on May 29th, which he intends to resist.
Tambuwal’s claim: Speaking on Sunday through his Senior Special Assistant on Special Duties, Alhaji Yusuf Dingyadi, the governor alleged that the endgame of those plotting to remove him is to give power to the APC.
- He highlighted the alleged defacing and replacement of his posters with those of the APC guber candidate in the state as part of the strategy.
- “Election is over, we have won the election and we have offered a hand of fellowship, we asked them to come so that we develop Sokoto State, they refused and went to court, why can’t they allow the court to pass its verdict?”
- “PDP in Sokoto is not looking for any backdoor judgment. You allow the court to do what is needful, we have confidence in court because we won the election with divine intervention.”
- “We don’t want any political crisis, we don’t want any tension in Sokoto, Sokoto people are peace-loving, we call on security agents to investigate and find out the sponsors of the political rascality in the state.”
Bottom line: File this as one of the frequent unsubstantiated conspiracy theories by Nigeria’s political class. It is safe to say that unless there is somehow an unfavorable ruling of the tribunal before May 29th, Tambuwal would be sworn-in for a second term.